In 1957, the site where Woodlawn High School stands was only a tract of land in the woods. It had been felt for some time that a high school was needed in this section of Shreveport. The Caddo Parish School Board spent a great deal of time investigating the needs and the exact location for such a school.
Many population surveys were made and finally two tracts of land totaling 50 acres were purchased in the southern portion of the city at 7340 Wyngate Drive in Sherwood Park. The land had to be cleared after purchase. In fact, the site was only then incorporated into the city limits and later Wyngate Street was dedicated.
The School Board found it necessary to revise the budget several times. After some thirty proposed
sketches had been submitted by the architectural firm of Wiener, Morgan and O'Neal, a special meeting of the School Board was held in July of 1958 and final plans by the architect were approved and the Board granted authority to advertise for bids.
The contract was awarded to W. A. McMichael Construction Company in August 1958 at a cost of $2,266,444. Completed at a final cost of $2,660,300 in the summer of 1960, the building was occupied by its first student body of approximately 1,000 students in September 1960.
Organization of the school program for its first year began in January 1960. The principal and other key administrators were appointed and plans got under way. Future students had organized tours of the building during its final days of completion. Equipment and supplies for all the departments in the school were ordered. The Student Council was organized in March 1960 with the seven schools supplying the students electing members. This charter group met often and was largely responsible for selecting the school colors of royal blue and scarlet, the Knight as the school mascot, the name of the yearbook and school paper, a ring company and a standard ring design, and writing the words for the Alma Mater for which Mr. Richard Jennings and Mr. Melvin Simmons wrote the music.
A full program of study was offered in the first year including all types of athletic competition and a unit of the National Defense Cadet Corps. Woodlawn graduated 175 seniors at its first graduation exercise in June 1961. Early in November of 1962, the school underwent a two-day evaluation by a committee representing the Southern Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges and was placed on their accredited list.
The modern design of the building set the theme for the 1962 Accolade. If you have seen her lately, you know that this "grand old lady" has seen better days. Nevertheless, we, the members of the Class of '64, will always remember her in her glory.